The political right especially the radical far right in America with dripping venom consider the word "Socialism". To be practically a cursed word in their vernacular. Similar as the word "Liberal" politically speaking in decrying the left side of the aisle although technically it means freedom of tyranny or bigotry. I suppose like how Muslims had the technical word of "Jihad" (righteous struggle) hijacked by the radical hate mongers to mean a holy war. Hatred breeds victimization be it in the political theater or in the combat theater.
Walking away in peace from any hate speech that would rather fear and destroy society one attack at a time. My conceptual designs are mostly humane, although I have past design examples that global militaries could deploy as well.
Now this is how I have witnessed Socialism in America. For to have an America without socialism is to create a dystopia on an Orwellian scale. For pure capitalism allows people to be a commodity not just as a labor workforce, but as slaves without dignity nor privilege. America had to experience a Civil War in the mid to late 19th century to end Slavery ushered in by Pure Capitalism with the triad of: Rum, Sugar, and Slaves. Today's triad of economic principles is: Money, Oil, and Weapons. Tomorrows economic triad may very well be: Power (Wealth Classism the 10% (Multi-Millionaires) to 1% (Billionaires) & Renewable Energy), Water, and Technology.
Second, here are the examples of Civilian Socialism in America to date. (This list is in no way complete)
1) Social Security Benefits a Federal Legal Ponzi Scheme (Pension & Disability Benefits)
2) Medicare & Medicaid Federal / State Healthcare Benefits (The Government is always the Insurer of Last Resort. Medicare is for the elderly and the disabled, with Medicaid for the economically poor)
3) Food Stamps (Food Insecurity Program)
4) Utility Energy Assistance (Discounted reduced rate electricity program)
5) Lifeline Federal / State Credits (For Landline & Cellphone Telephone rebate per month)
6) Temporary Cash Assistance (For the Economically Poor, usually the Homeless)
7) Public School Districts Across America as in Kindergarten-12 grades.
8) Public Colleges and Universities (At reduced rates for State citizens)
9) Public Libraries
10) Court Appointed Criminal Legal Defense
11) Public Municipal Parks
12) Federal National / State Parks (Although admission & camping fee's do apply)
13) Public Infrastructure of Roads, Bridges, Highways without paid Tolls (Subsidized by taxpayers)
14) Public Transit of Buses, Subway, Monorails, etc... (Admission fee's per ride do apply, but subsidized by taxpayers)
Now picture an America with none of that above as a pure Capitalistic society. Where everything is ala carte and your nickle and dimed to death. A dystopia by my definition, so the radical right politically do not know the horror they would create without an iota of socialism in America. That would include No Federal / State pork barrel projects and Corporate Welfare as Tax (Removal / Discount) Sweetheart deals.
For any democratic State in the world evolved to date it must have subsidized ventures via socialism. (Governmental & Philanthropic) However it must be balanced as well with a Fair & Free Market Economy without corruption, collusion, and conspiracies. To make a delicious pastry besides sugar it requires salt and spice otherwise it's ruined. In my example socialism is the salt, capitalism is the sugar, and the spice are private charities as non-governmental organizations. Since the salt and spice in this example both finance with public and private subsides to happen for social welfare programs and the humanities of the: arts, athletics, and education. So Pure Capitalism would have no socialism remember, that means no: Charities, Foundations, Endowments, Grants, Scholarships, Stipends, etc... whatsoever!
Third, to the meat of this conceptual design to showcase the Socialism in the American world class military armed branches. Where more than 10% of our annual GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is poured into as in subsidized by American taxpayers.
Here are the examples, and again this list is in no way complete. This list also omits base salary rates for enlisted and officer corp personnel.
1) Military Base Housing, including for Immediate Dependents. (whether on the military base proper or outside into a municipality)
2) All Medical Care as Active Duty (which is considered as world class top quality)
3) G.I. Bill (Higher Education subsidized dollars for College and Universities)
4) Uniforms & Fatigues (ie clothing)
5) Training in Warfare (aside from basic boot camp, and well into higher echelon learning for infantry, armor division, piloting, technical communications, etc....)
6) All Weapons and required ammunition (from small arms to large scale vehicles)
7) On Military Base transportation and deployment to theater operations
8) Limited free communication service on a Military base and when deployed (ie telephone, internet, & teleconferencing, otherwise at additional cost for extra usage)
9) Free Legal Defence
10) Hazard Pay Insurance (As an Insurance payout upon the death of a Soldier, Sailor, or Airman to next of kin.)
I'm the First to Admit that of course these soldiers, sailors, and airman must be supplied with the essentials. In order to fully accomplish their training and missions to safeguard America and our Allies. Be it the prior listed uniforms and weapons, but technically that is socially subsidized by the American taxpayer all throughout.
Now since the military armed branches have such a pivotal missions to protect and safeguard from all enemies foreign or domestic. They deserve all that the American Homeland can offer, which includes additional benefits such as for veterans.
(This list is no way complete)
1) Veterans Medical Care (Although the VA (Veterans Administration) offers sub-par medical care for veterans mirroring State Medicaid programs of the poor in many instances)
2) VA Loans for Homestead Residential Property
3) Each of the 5 military branches has an Emergency Fund for Veterans, Spouses and dependent Children created by fellow active duty and veterans like a charity. (Temporary rent assistance, higher education, medical procedures, etc...)
4) Retail discounts for admissions fee's from Theme parks to Federal National to State Parks. Cinema discounts, preferred rates in Banking and Loans, etc...
Our veterans deserve this adoration don't get me wrong by the general civilian population. Some of it is socialized and some of it is discounted by caring corporations as ethical and shrewd business practice.
Fourth, now considering all the support our Military branches receive in Federal and State government support by taxpayers. By keeping us safe and in an open manner the potential to be prosperous in our societal sandbox. Why don't our First Responders as in Police, Fire Rescue, and Hospital Ambulance get an equal representation of socialized support as do our military? Their mission keeps civil society from diving into sheer anarchy. Yes, there is socialized help by the Federal, State, and Local governments but many times these first responders rely on private charitable dollars to help procure much needed equipment.
Oh wait! So did our Troops when they were in Iraq and in Afghanistan due to the logistical nightmare from the Pentagon. Taking half a year or more to timely support our troops when deployed as early as 2008 in Iraq as reported by the ""Christian Science Monitor March 2008" (Link).
Five years later this trend only grows as reported by "NBC News February 2013" (Link) in Afghanistan.Since 9/11, the market for tactical war gear has expanded from nearly nonexistent to nearly $150 million in sales each year, which includes sales directly to soldiers as well as to the Pentagon, according to industry sources.CIA operatives, domestic SWAT teams, and Border Patrol agents are also rounding out their gear at bazaars like Commando.To some critics, the sight of soldiers buying their own battle gear symbolizes a divide between frontline grunts and rear echelon procurement officers who may never have seen battle. Rep. Gene Taylor (D) of Mississippi told the House Armed Services Committee last week that supplies such as body armor and uparmored Humvees "[have] taken entirely too long" to get to frontline troops.In some cases, charity groups have stepped in to help. Operation Helmet, founded by Bob Meaders of Montgomery, Texas, shipped special helmet liners to soldiers to replace what many soldiers said were poorly designed helmet pads issued by the Army and the Marines. Just as Operation Helmet thought its work was done late last year, more requests came in from troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
So with the advent of security contractors a.k.a. mercenaries like the famous "Blackwater". Now known as "Academi" (Wikipedia Link) due to a scandal in 2007 in Iraq by killing and wounding civilians. A Pure Capitalistic military branch doesn't depend on the lowest bidding contractor to fulfill a work order. They go directly into the military supply commercial marketplace just like civilians do everyday. We all know bureaucratic red tape is the death knell to a superior world class military logistically speaking.
Fifth, now to get to the meat of this conceptual design beyond this lengthy set up. By describing the necessary scale of Socialism has in positive societal effects overall. In order to eradicate poverty in America it can not be directly sourced through a free and fair market economy. Since American Capitalism isn't totally Free and Fair due to corruption, collusion, and banking conspiracies up the proverbial ying yang. Leaving it totally on the plate of private philanthropic donors and foundations is a severe sadistic disrespect of the scale of this dilemma.
Following in theory and to a limited degree the American Socialism as showcased in Civil and Military society. I would envision a quasi-paramilitary solution by undoing the centuries long status of the under or lower economic classism in America. Allow me to explain the nine rings of Classism I see in America to date:
9 Rings of Classism:
1) The Lower, Middle, and Upper Under / Lower Class (from the destitute chronic poor to the Working Poor holding down one or more part time jobs without a living wage)
2) The Lower, Middle, Upper Middle Class (Ever so shrinking in the post Great Recession Era)
3) The Lower, Middle, and Upper Upper Class (From the Multi-millionaires 10% up to the Billionaire 1%)
My conceptual solution in theory is to outlaw or completely eliminate the Under / Lower Class. Not as a criminal offence, but to raise the quality of life of such a disadvantaged economic class. Up to the Lower Middle Class by giving them a quasi paramilitary structure of upward mobility.
What this entails is not creating new ghetto's of public housing stock. That experiment failed in the United States, Britain, France, and Russia by the mid-20th century vestige of high crime neighborhoods has left society as a whole. What I'm proposing is the new trend in this early 21st century of Mixed Use Housing Stock in middle class neighborhoods. Using a voucher system subsidized by the Federal / State / Local governments that individuals and couples get apartment units. With the under class now lower middle class as families with children get a single family home. Be it a refurbished foreclosed property to a newly constructed property like by "Habitat of Humanity" does across America and the Globe.
These once former Under / Lower Class economically speaking won't be sitting idle collecting benefits either. All will be required to serve at a minimum on a weekly volunteer basis under this quasi paramilitary societal infrastructure. Much like President "Franklin Theodore Roosevelt" ushered in during the Great Depression 1930's & 1940's American era. Like the historical "Works Progress Administration" (Wikipedia Link) that put unemployed adults and delinquent children to work. Those that are part-timers will volunteer a minimum amount of hours each week under this renewed system. Everyone else that wishes to work full time will pull down a salary much like anywhere by being guaranteed work. However the work may not actually be what they want, but what is needed in such a societal public works campaign to eradicate poverty.
All the while those enrolled due to economic hardship will get medical care, transportation, housing, food, etc... all subsidized until they break free into the Middle Middle Class. Then they can join the rest of civil society in the Free & Fair Market Economy like everyone else to date. Many have stated that the American Military Industrial Complex and each of the five U.S. Armed Forces Branches of the: Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, and Air Force. Are like a society within a society at large with their own bureaucracy and legal system. Well this system to eradicate poverty in America if not picked up elsewhere Internationally will create a similar society within a society with its own bureaucracy and legal system. Those working within such a system will not be taking jobs away from those in the Free and Fair Market Economy. Since they'll be insourced public infrastructure and social service jobs to maintain such a Lower Middle Class standard of living.
This is just a potential conceptual design on what could be to undo centuries of the under / lower economic classism of the disadvantaged. Since any sort of Capitalism has been an Utter Failure to address the needs of the poor. Trickle Down Economics is a Fallacy not worth repeating. Only a form of Socialism can help alleviate for the chronic poor economically a chance of upward democratic values mobility. Otherwise if one wants endemic servitude of a slave class. Then use capitalism to expound the suffering upon such an economic demographic of people.